Pun intended 🙂
I didn’t get out this weekend with the camera, but I did do my best Bob Vila impression. The steps to our front porch have been in a pretty bad state of disrepair lately, so on Saturday afternoon I took on the task of ripping apart the old ones and replacing them. Disclaimer: I am not very handy around the house at all – Lori is the one who usually does most of the standard maintenance, and since I dislike that sort of thing and she revels in it… that little arrangement works for me.
I assumed that you could just buy a replacement set of steps, with the extent of handyman skills needed being able to drill some holes to attach the new steps to the porch. Maybe you can, but I ended up making several trips to the local home maintenance supply stores with measurements in hand, returning with all of the parts necessary to undertake what would be, for me, a relatively new experience. The last time I did anything like this was making a rudimentary toy boat in my 6th grade woodworking class with teacher Joe Best, so this was sure to be an experience. Probably three hours later and with the help of Sam – voila – we have a new set of steps that you can actually use to access the front porch! Add a lick of paint, re-finish the baseboard they are attached to, and they will look as good as new.
One day later though and I am sore… very sore! I used some muscles I haven’t used in a while… and truth be told throughout the process I used some words I haven’t used in a while too 🙂